How to Paint Your Hardwood Floors
Believe it or not hardwood floors can be painted. It is not a difficult job if you will just follow a few simple steps. Get idea about your bit.
You will need the following tools and materials.
- A power sander and sand paper and extension cord
- Vacuum cleaner, preferably a shop vac
- Dust mop or broom
- Mop and bucket of water
- Oil primer
- Latex or epoxy paint (if using epoxy make sure there is plenty of ventilation in the room and still wear a mask)
- 1 roller frame, 2 roller naps (one for oil primer and one for paint), roller stick, roller pan or bucket
- 2 paint brushes for the cut in work (again, one for oil and one for paint)
- Cut pots (if desired)
You will need to prepare the floor by doing the following steps. The preparation is one of the utmost important steps of an entire paint job. The preparation should be done thoroughly.
- Sand the floor to knock the wax off (if it has been waxed before)
- Vacuum all loose dirt and dust up thoroughly
- Clean the floor making certain to get it thoroughly clean leaving no dirt or dust
- Let the floor dry completely (overnight is best if you can allow that much time)
- It is not a bad idea to go over the floor again with a broom just to make sure to get all the loose dirt and dust that may be left
The next step is priming the floor.
- Do your cut in work first (meaning to cut in around the baseboard and any other objects) using your paint brush
- Then you want to do you rolling
- Make certain to cover the floor thoroughly with the primer; apply a second coat if necessary (this is usually if you are working with raw wood which has never been waxed)
Then the last step is the actual paint job itself.
- Again you want to do the cut in work first with your paint brush
- Once the cut in work is done you are ready to begin the rolling
- Always start with the corner that away from the door unless you want to literally paint yourself into a corner
- Work your way out
- Let it dry and decide if you need to apply a second coat (it is not necessary but will last longer with two coats)
Thus, painting hardwood floors does not have to be a difficult task. And it is one you can do yourself.