How Long Does It Take To Grow Potatoes?
Potatoes are the irregular tubers and the most common food all over the world. It is a popular source of food which can be consumed in a variety of ways. They are the most inexpensive so it can be easily grown in an individual’s garden. It is really fun to grow the vegetable with all the right conditions and resources. As small as 4 square foot of land is required to grow enough amount of potatoes. This belongs to the Solanaceae family which also include tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, and tomatoes.
Nutritional values and health benefits of potato
The nutritional content of potatoes includes vitamin C, carbohydrate, dietary fibers, calcium, iron, sodium, and proteins. Majorly it’s composed of water. It has phytonutrients and antioxidants. The health benefits of potatoes include that it helps in lowering blood pressure, it helps in brain functioning and nervous system health as the potassium helps in getting the brain enough blood. It is good for the immunity as the vitamin C helps in prevent scurvy and the common cold. Studies show that it reduces inflammation and has a certain role in arthritis. It helps in digestion as well. It gives affected results with skincare because of vitamin C, B6, potassium, magnesium, zinc and phosphorus.
There are various ways to grow potatoes effortlessly. These methods include the following basic methods:
- The cheapest methods include hilled rows where rows are made in the land to grow potatoes. This method requires a high quality of soil as it can limit the growth
- The method of straw mulch is the least digging method. In this method, the mulch conserves the soil and prevents weeds. The harvest is effortless as no digging is required
- A raised bed is another method for biggest yield. This method gives a good amount of potatoes and it is a good option when the soil is heavy and not drained properly
- Wooden boxes are also used in growing potatoes. Additional soil and slats can be added and give the yield same as the raised bed
- Wired cylinders are also used as it is the best method for wet yards. To harvest the potatoes, you just have to lift the cylinder and pull back the soil to expose the tubers
- The easiest method is growing potatoes in a bag. The growing bags are commercially available
- Last but not least, garbage bags can also be used as it is easily available. These plastics offer good growth as the black polythene absorbs more sunlight.
The time required in growing potatoes
The time taken by the potatoes to grow depends on various factors including the kind of potatoes grown. The early varieties of potatoes have shorter maturation time and take less than ninety days. These include Sirtema, Belle de Fontenay, Annabelle, and Amandine. The midseason varieties take almost 100 days which is ideal for warm climates and therefore can be stored for longer times. These include Mona Lisa, Bernadette, Rose of France and Charlotte. The late harvesting takes more than almost 120 days. These include Caesar, Bleue d’Artois, Desiree, Vitelotte and Corne de Gatte.
Some of the useful tips to grow potatoes are as follows:
- You should always start the growth with certified tubers such that the plant is not much prone to tubers
- The potatoes can be pre-sprout indoors which will help you to diminish the growing time
- The seedling should be fertilized wisely
- They should be mulch heavily as the potatoes need a lot of moisture to grow properly
- To protect the potatoes from the frost, the potatoes should be covered
- The new crops should be planted as soon as the potatoes are harvested
- Harvesting the potatoes depends on the growing season, the weather conditions at the time of harvest and the size of tuber which is required
It is always tempting to harvest potatoes as it is loved by all and is a versatile food but it takes more or less from 70 to 120 days. The potatoes should be stored in the dark, well-ventilated place at room temperatures. Storing it like this can keep the potatoes for 6 months. They should not be refrigerated and apart from all these, they can also be dried.